Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vaccine

To Vaccine or not to Vaccine... that is my question. My sister in law has texted the family twice now demanding that we get the Whooping Cough Vaccine. The last text she sent said she needed confirmation of our vaccine, whatever that means. Now I personally am not a fan of vaccines. I never get the flu shot one and only get them when my doctor says I have to do it and I only do it then because basically I am already in the office and have little choice (yes I know I do have a choice but it is hard to say no to the doctor).

I also do not cope well with being demanded to do things. It wasn't like she asked us nicely to get it or told us anything about the vaccine. She just said you have x amount of time to go get it. Oh and if you do not get it you are not allowed into the hospital to see the baby.

Since she did not provide any reason for me to get this vaccine (other than the threat of not being able to see my nephew) I did my own research. Everything I have read stated that the parents and the caregivers should get it. I am neither in this case. I will be an Aunt and will see the baby maybe once a month. In fact the baby will see the people at church more than they will see me... and I do not think she is telling the whole church to get the vaccine. I also have spent time around a 13 day old baby and a month old baby and neither parent was worried about me not having been vaccinated. This is will be their second child and we did not need to get the vaccine for the first child...

So, maybe I am being ridiculous in not wanting to get the vaccine but I don't. Unless my doctor tells me too I do not feel inclined to get it. Now, again I might have a different opinion if we were approached in a nice way by saying why we should get it and how they would appreciate us getting it as they were concerned for their child... but instead I just got a demand which doesn't make me want to follow through at all. Also, by not getting it I know I will cause serious drama within the family because everyone else will just do it. I do not want to cause drama and have my in-laws dislike me but I also do not want to just cave and go against something I disagree with.

So to vaccine or not to vaccine... that is my question.

2 comments:

  1. Not to vaccine. Every medical website I have gone to says that really only children and the elderly should be vaccinated. The problem with a vaccine is it gives you a small amount of the virus so your body can create an immune to it. But everyone I have talked to who has received a vaccine has gotten incredibly sick from it. Like you said it will come from those who are around the baby the most, the parents the grandparents etc. I would be mad if someone demanded me to get a vaccine. I would NEVER demand someone. When it comes to a newborn all you need to do is make sure you wash your hands before holding them and if by some change you do have something all you need to do is wear a mask. I think she is being ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to vaccine. I remember when Swine Flu was the epidemic, my mom and grandma went absolutely insane. "You need to get the shot ASAP!" Calling me every day and arguing with me about it when I refused. I have ALWAYS been the type of person to avoid drugs of any kind unless absolutely necessary, and it works for me. I rarely ever get sick, and when I do, it only lasts a day or so. Oh. And I never got swine flu. =P

    The only part that concerns me is the part about you not being able to see your nephew. That's an absolutely terrible ultimatum, but maybe she'll come to her senses. Then again, I don't know how close you are to her or how big of a deal it is. (I tend to avoid babies like the plague personally, unless they belong to someone VERY close to me, haha.)

    Just take care of yourself. You should be okay. Don't let anyone push you around or make you do anything you don't want to do. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete