Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is usually a time for family to get together and share a meal. Well when my husband and I got married our first thanksgiving was spent on our honeymoon. Since then we have decided that should be our tradition (not be on a honeymoon as awesome as that would be! but to spend it just with one another). This solved the drama of which family to choose to spend it with or having to drive 100+ miles to see both families.

So this year we again had Thanksgiving at home just the two of us. It was a perfect day! We made delicious food, watched movies, and just enjoyed each others company. Now while we are very happy with this arrangement, my in laws are less happy about it. They feel we should be there and are not keen on us having our own traditions. So in a very sneaky way my Mother in Law managed to have Thanksgiving 2.0 on Friday at our house. She called and asked if just her and her husband could come over on Friday to hang out. We said, fine. Then one sister was added, then the other. The suddenly 4 hours before dinnertime we found out the whole family (10 adults, 2 kids) were now coming at dinnertime expecting a meal. 

So we had Thanksgiving 2.0. We just bought some bread for sandwiches and put our leftovers out. I did not want to go overboard since feeding 10 people seemed a bit much with 4 hours notice and we did have leftovers. Overall, it was an interesting night filled with family and family arguing but it did remind me of thanksgivings of the past. 

I love our new traditions of a just us thanksgiving but I feel I will have to also learn to accept a thanksgiving 2.0, and I think I can. I mean we do get 2 days off of work. Next year, I will make sure my family is invited as well (too short notice this year to give my family a heads up) and we will just have the whole family day and all the drama that comes with it. That is what the Holidays are about right? :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment