Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Grading

I feel like I am really getting into the swing of things now for my class. Their first assignment was due and majority of them turned in their paper early! It was really interesting to be on the other side regarding papers. I am used to writing them in a panic and hoping that the professor will like what I wrote. It was very odd opening up the first paper knowing I needed to judge and grade it. Most of the students did really well and I was impressed with what they had done. I did have one student who did not follow the prompt at all. Of course this was the first paper I graded so I was discouraged at first to see that everything I asked for was not there! Luckily it was only one students and I sent it back with a non passing grade and told them to fix it if they want to pass. I also made sure to speak to them in class about what was wrong with the paper and what I was expecting. I think they get it now but we will see on their revision.

I also had to write up my observations of them in their site. Part of this is to mention weaknesses and areas for improvement. I normally do not like to critique people and want to be nice. It was really hard for me to write and speak to each student on areas to improve but I had to remind myself that by doing that I am helping them in their future career. And just because I am critiquing doesn't mean I can't be kind while doing it! And afterwards I even had someone thank me for the review!


1 comment:

  1. I would want you to teach a class I was in, because you are full of awesomeness! Glad it is going well.

    ReplyDelete